Chicken tortilla soup is a delectable Mexican dish, but with so many versions out there, it is hard to find the best recipe. The dish is popular in Mexico City, but actually is not found very far beyond that. No one really knows the origin of the dish, but everyone acknowledges the amazing flavor of the dish. It is not necessarily considered exotic, but it is an unexpected and distinctive mix of vegetables, broth, and chicken. There are numerous great recipes out there and many are undeniably contenders for the best. Hopefully, this too is one of the greats.
• 1 Tbsp Olive oil
• 1 diced white onion
• 1 diced red bell pepper
• 1 diced green bell pepper
• 3 cloves minced garlic
• 1 can diced tomatoes (or dice them yourself)
• 1 jalapeno (optional)
• Low Sodium Chicken Broth
• Shredded Rotisserie chicken
• Corn tortillas
1. Begin by sautéing the onions, garlic, and bell peppers in olive oil. Watch the vegetables carefully for the edges to turn slightly brown, that’s how you know they are done. A slightly crisp edge means they hold more flavor.
2. In a saucepan, combine the sautéed vegetables and the package of chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Shred the rotisserie chicken (or left over chicken breast) and throw it into the pot. Toss in the rest of the ingredients, except for the tortillas. Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to boil for about 25 minutes. If you wish, add some black beans to the mix.
4. Carefully slice the tortillas into equal strips and place into the pot. (Some individuals prefer to fry the tortillas first. If you wish to do this, just cover the bottom of a pan in oil and lay the tortillas in one-by-one till they become crispy. After they are done, remove them and slice them as normal.) Remove the simmering soup from the heat. Now you can ration it out and add some garnish. Typically sour cream, cheese, and avocados are used, but feel free to use whatever sounds good to you.
Chicken tortilla soup is the definition of Mexican soul food. To make it as authentic as possible, use all fresh vegetables and add a bit of fresh cilantro to the mix. For some spice, add chili powder or a jalapeno. This dish is a truly unique and delectable one. Hopefully, you will enjoy it like so many others have.