A gagging cough is not exactly the normal cough because it interferes with pretty much all your daily activities, which include talking, sleeping and eating. In addition, coughing so hard that it makes you gag is also frightening and a lot of people just end up vomiting. Nobody enjoys going through this painful cycle. This kind of cough can be caused by a variety of conditions such as allergies, flu, the common cold and bronchitis. However, in most cases, a gagging cough doesn’t serve as an indicator of an underlying problem and is simply a result of coughing excessively.
Obviously, you want to get rid of the gagging cough as soon as possible. There are several steps that you can take for dealing with this problem. Follow the tips mentioned below and you will be able to eliminate this irritating and annoying cough pretty soon:
- If you are suffering from fever that’s around or more than 100.5 degree Fahrenheit and your gagging cough has lasted for more than a week, it is time for you to contact a general practice physician. Some illness like an infection may be the cause of your cough and may require medical treatment. The doctor will have to perform an examination for determining if an illness is causing the gagging cough and will prescribe you with proper medication for dealing with the symptoms and eliminating the infection.
- You should drink plenty of water and also install a humidifier in your room at night. A cough can often get worse because of dehydration and frequent coughing will dry up your throat. A dry throat can cause you to cough more and eventually gag. The humidifier can prevent this by providing more moisture to your mucus membranes and body, which will aid you in healing rapidly while you sleep.
- During the day, you should snack on cough drops or sugar-free hard candy. A gagging cough can especially be soothed with cough drops that contain menthol or peppermints. Your throat will not dry quickly when you cough less.
- You should also take medication that contains guaifenesin as it is effective in breaking up mucus. Excessive coughing usually occurs because of excessive buildup of mucus and your coughs will become more product, less painful and dry with guaifenesin. You can also take a decongestant if you have pain in your sinuses and your throat is tickly and scratchy. This can also eliminate coughing.
- Aromatherapy can also help you in reducing coughing. Take two drops of thyme oil, three drops of eucalyptus oil and two teaspoons of melted or soft coconut oil. Apply this mixture onto your chest area and breathe deeply. You can also take a spoonful of raw honey on a daily basis for soothing your throat.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals and limit your exposure to them when you are suffering from a gagging cough as this will only worsen them. Don’t go near people who smoke or inhale the smell of paint and other chemicals.