The Neapolitan pizza is the best party food option for those who love to retain the old tradition of a real taste. The recipe includes some special ingredients such as highly refined Italian flour, Mozzarella di Bufala and San Marzano tomatoes. Mozzarella di Bufala is special because it is prepared in fresh buffalo milk while San Marzano tomatoes grow up in volcanic soil and have a slight sweeter taste.
To get the authentic taste of a Neapolitan pizza, you must use hand-kneaded dough and roll it without any mechanical method. Also, you shouldn’t increase the actual pizza size which is 35 centimeters. Moreover, the pizza must be baked at 900 degree F for 1-2 minutes in a domed and wood-fired oven.
The Neapolitan pizza is a perfect combination of exotic ingredients and ancient baking style. Let’s see how it’s cooked.
- Plain flour
- For topping:
- Plum tomatoes
- Virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Basil leaves
- Dried oregano
- Mozzarella (finely chopped)
- Black Pepper
Note: You can also use rosemary spring, courgette, chopped garlic cloves, aubergine, prosciutto, speck, rocket leaves, and grated courgette for extra toppings in order to get some additional flavor.
- Preheat the oven at 500 degree F.
- Knead the dough using plain flour, yeast, lukewarm and salt. Make sure you don’t make it too sticky. Cover it with a cloth.
- Make a ball out of dough and leave it idle for few minutes. Then divide the dough ball into two parts, knead each part for some more time and form two balls out of them.
- Sprinkle some dry flour upon the balls and cover them with a slightly moist and neat cloth. Leave it in warm settings for half an hour.
- In a bowl, slightly squeeze tomatoes add salt and pepper and stir them together.
- Sprinkle flour on a clean surface and spread the dough ball with the help of your fingers shaping it to round.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on two large and flat baking trays and put the pizza-formed dough over them.
- Now spread tomatoes on both the pizza bases. Make sure you don’t put too many tomatoes in order to prevent the pizza from being soggy.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese, put oregano, basil leaves, mozzarella cheese and drizzle some olive oil.
- Let the pizza prepare in a hot oven for 8 to 10 minutes to make it crispy. Remove it out from the oven and serve with ketchup and other spices.
Pizzas are loved all around the world, and the yummiest Neapolitan pizza can be a perfect recipe for your next party menu.